Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Side Note: Mesothelioma Cancer

James "Rhio" O'Connor Memorial Scholarship
Cancer is a terrible thing, a disease that could mean life and death for so many. Rhio O’Connor seemed like one of the few special people that knew how and what to do with the situation he was in. He was a brave, smart and proactive man that would not give up even when the outlook was grim. Rhio was diagnosed with Pleural Mesothelioma cancer, a rare disease that only about 3000 people get each year. This cancer results from everyday exposure to asbestos in the surrounding environments in which we live. Mesothelioma causes the growth of a tumor on our body’s internal structures, such as on the lining of the lungs, heart and abdominal cavity. Rhio was faced with a cancer that was life threatening and required rigorous treatments. But with his courage and intellect, Mr. O’Connor fought the battle that most would turn their backs to. He only had a year to live, but by planning his own survival regimen and not losing hope, Rhio is now alive and well. If I was given a similar cancer prognosis as Mr. O’Connor was, I would try to make the best out of it and live up to the standards that he set.

To hear that your life might possibly end in a short time is what I imagine to be devastating. However, to hear that there is no hope is unacceptable. One doctor’s opinion is only one opinion out of many. I would take what they say to heart, but also seek out other options, other treatments and others ways of handling my disease. People often assume that their doctor’s word is god, a final say in what you should do. Do you need a doctor to bandage up a skinned knee? Do you need a doctor to tell you to wash your hands before you eat? Then why would I need one to tell me how exactly to live the rest of my shorten life? Instead I would do what I always have done, trust my own instincts.

I am a researcher at heart. Whenever I do not know a word, do not understand a phrase, or need to further my knowledge, I look it up. Therefore I would start a long and dedicated process of researching every possible cancer treatment available. I would consider the pros and the cons of each, what facts backs them up, the survival rates and other important third factors. I would work harder than I ever had in my life because I am fighting for a life, my life.

There are several common treatments people with cancer undergo such as Chemo, radiation, and even surgery. I have family members who have done all of these. But sadly in the end they still met their fate and passed away. I am not saying that these treatments would not work for me however. Each case is unique and should be handled that way. For myself personally I would chose surgery only if it was needed and was done by a trusted surgeon with a good heart and good intentions. I would choose Chemo if I thought, after heavy research, that it was my best option. But with radiation, I am immediately turned off. My own grandfather chose this method when he was diagnosed with lung cancer. It put him through a lot of pain during the last days of his life and ultimately it did not yield the results that experts said it would.

If I had cancer, besides researching the best treatment plans and seeking multiple opinions from doctors, I would find out if my cancer was terminal or not. If there was a good chance that I would survive I would try my hardest and put myself through rigorous treatments if I thought I could eventually pull through. However if I was told by doctors, my research and my own gut feeling that there was not a chance of surviving, no matter the precautions I took, than that would be a whole new story.

When my great aunt found out she did not have long to live because of her cancer she made her final days the best they could possibly be. I would do the same thing if I was in her situation. Why put yourself through painful treatments, surgery and such if the final outcome will be death anyway? No, I would instead try and keep my condition stable long enough to spend the rest of my time with the people I love. If Chemo and even radiation had little to offer in the long run, why struggle? Even if it means less time on Earth, I would rather spend it at home surrounding by love and support then in a hospital bed hooked up to tubes and unconscious. What I regret the most with my Grandfather was that I did not get enough time to talk to him when he was in the hospital. I think my parents regret putting him through radiation instead of letting him go peacefully sooner. Being the realist that I am, knowing that my cancer will eventually take my life would make me want to accept it and be happy until that time.

Therefore if I, like Rhio O’Connor, were given a dire cancer prognosis I would not give up until I knew everything I could about my prognosis and what could be done to ensure that I will survive. Cancer is not something anybody wants to have, nor is death something anyone wants to think about, but that does not mean you should not try to make the best out of it. Rhio seemed like to be the type to think this way during his struggle with cancer and I just hope that if I ever fall under the same situation that I can be as courageous as he was.


Please click on this link for more information about Mesothelioma:
http://www.survivingmesothelioma.com

No comments:

Post a Comment