Monday, February 27, 2012

The Oscars 2012


Best of the Night



Rooney Mara in Givenchy Couture: LOVE. The pure white of the gown against her dark severe hair is magic. Rooney stays true to her dark minimalism style


Kelly Osbourne in Badgley Mischka: Its either hit or miss for Kelly, but this time she stood out in a great way. This sequin cut out gown is unique and quite refreshing with her purple tinted hair.


Maria Menounos in Maria Lucia Hohan: Maria is another one whose style choices are always on the fence for me. But this gown color is so divine and it fits her wonderfully, not to mention her perfectly tamed hairstyle. I would wear this in a heartbeat!


Giuliana Rancic in Basil Soda: Wow again I am surprised, Guilana is actually wearing a gown that I love. Pure white and intricately detailed, this swan like dress is a showstopper.




Fashion Faux-Pas



Melissa McCarthy in Marina Rinaldi: I love Melissa so I hate to put her on this worst dressed list, but besides her hair, this look is just blah. The color is a shade too wrong, and those fly away sleeves add unnecessary bulk. Too similar to a self made prom dress.


Nancy O'Dell: Canary yellow, really? I am sooo over this shocking big bird color on the red carpet. I am also not a fan of the triangle lace effect or the over hair sprayed hairdo.


Sandra Bullock in Marchesa: I adore Sandra and often think her red carpet looks are wonderful, but on this occasion I am left perplexed. Besides the fact that I don't like two-toned gowns like this, it is ill fitting on her and that ponytail is all wrong.


Viola Davis in Vera Wang: This is definitely my worst dressed of the night. The emerald green looks tacky and something about the fit is off. I am not liking her new hair style either. This is unfortunate because I have liked her other red carpet looks before.



The Midas Touch



Meryl Streep in Lanvin: First off, so glad Meryl got the Oscar for Best Actress! Now to this gown....we have seen her wear this shape many time before and she looks great. Just too much gold and glitter for my taste.

Ellie Kemper in Armani Prive: Usually one to fly under the radar, Ellie definitely shines in this bronzed confection. I love everything about this look from the bangs to the complementing accessories.


Stacy Keibler in Marchesa: LOVE! Who cares about George Clooney when you look like this?! The fit is spot on, and the shimmering hue is just perfection on her tall frame. I love the off the shoulder sleeve and sleek hair as well.


Jessica Chastain in Alexander McQueen: Always the risk taker, Jessica stunned in this McQueen gown. Black and gold never looked so delicious! Half up half down hair completes a great look.


Strawberry Fields




Emma Stone in Giambattista Valli Couture: This is just wonderful. Emma has yet to let me down on the red carpet and in this deep maroon gown, I am assured she never will. Pulled back hair keeps the attention on the beautiful neck bow detail.


Natalie Portman in Vintage Christian Dior: Such an interesting gown choice and no one else could pull it off except Natalie. I love the slight polka dot print and the glamour of the silver necklace. Old Hollywood Glamour at its best.


Michelle Williams in Louis Vuitton: Stunning! I love the peplum bodice and the frayed burnt orange fabric. Simple accessories complete an all around perfect look.



The Dark Side




Anna Faris in DVF: I am so over the black sequin dress phase. This long sleeve gown looks huge on Anna and does nothing to complement her lithe figure. A blunt bob is too severe as well.


Angelina Jolie in Atelier Versace: Wow Angelina went all out for the Oscars. I wish I could say I love this look, but I've seen her look better. I like when she does color and in this high slit gown, she looks too dramatic and thin.


Melissa Leo: I don't know what to say about this look besides that I really don't understand it nor like it. Does nothing for her shape either.


Rose Bryne in Vivienne Westwood: I am very disappointed. Usually I adore everything Rose wears, but last night she was lost among the crowd in this sequin look. I love her hair though on the plus side.


At Arm's Length



Berenice Bejo in Elie Saab Couture: This is quite a boring look. Berenice as yet to interest me on the red carpet so I was kind of hoping she'd step it up for the Oscars. It's a pretty color, but very matronly on her.


Jennifer Lopez in Zuhair Murad: This is all wrong in so many ways. First off, I dislike the fish effect of the pleating. And long sleeves are okay but that weird cut out is not needed. In typical JLo fashion, she sports a high bun and dramatic makeup. Nothing special


Glenn Close in Zac Posen: I am obsessed with Glenn in this dark green gown! It fits her curves wonderfully and that blazer is right on spot with her style. A very fitting Oscars gown for a gorgeous and talented actress.


Shailene Woodley in Valentino Couture: While I love Shailene's simply chic style, last night her look was too simple. This gown isn't Oscar worthy by any means and ages her quite a bit (the hairstyle doesn't help any either).


Clean Slates




Cameron Diaz in Gucci Premiere: I am pleasantly surprised with Cameron's gown choice. I actually really like it alot. It has just the right amount of shimmer and was made for her fit body. I am even loving her platinum short hair.


Gwyneth Paltrow in Tom Ford: Um, I am confused. What's with the superhero cape? When she took it off later in the evening, it was so much better! But even still, it's a boring white gown with a boring ponytail and accessories. A huge let down compared to her look at last year's Oscars.


Octavia Spencer in Tadashi Shoji: I was so happy that Octavia won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress, and I was also very delighted with her gown choice. It flatters her curves wonderfully and gives her a glam appeal that she so rightly deserves.


Mila Jovovich in Elie Saab Couture: Mila looks amazing! Always an odd ball on the red carpet, the actress kept it glamorous in a white sequin gown. I love the strong shoulder and her red pout as well. A definite home run.


Pretty Pastels



Kristen Wiig in J.Mendel: Let me first say that I absoultely adore Kristen's hair color and style. I am very envious of it. Her gown on the otherhand, though pretty is the wrong shade. She tends to wear neutrals alot, but I dislike skin tone colors, especially when it looks more like the underlining of a dress than the actual dress.


Penelope Cruz in Giorgio Armani: I always look forward to what Penelope will wear on award season red carpets, and last night she took my breath away in this perwinkle gown. She looks like a Hollywood princess and her retro curls are the perfect accent.


Kate Mara in Jack Guisso Couture: Looking her sister Rooney's complete opposite, Kate instead dones a pretty pink gown. I do wish however that the bodice was a tad higher and that either there was another sleeve or it was strapless.


Sarah Hyland in Alberta Ferretti: Sarah looks both mature and youthful in this lovely purple gown. I love the interesting shoulder straps and the slight shimmer of the satin fabric.
Most importantly she looks comfortable and confident.


Esperanza Spalding: One of my favorites of the night, under the radar songtress Esperanza brings her A-game in this powder blue gown. The shine of the bodice is unexpected and her wondeful afro is the only accesorry she needs.





(photos: people.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment