Monday, September 13, 2010

VMAs 2010: The Most Interesting

The Queen

Lady Gaga in Alexander McQueen- Being that IT IS the VMAs and IT IS Lady Gaga, what else can we expect than a pure over-the-top dramatic outfit? I love that she's paying tribute to fashion great McQueen's last collection. While the colors of the gown aren't my favorite and her hair makes no sense with the look, I can't really critique anything else as Gaga redefines fashion in her own terms no matter what. Thanks for keeping it interesting.

On Thin Ice
Katy Perry in Marchesa- The only about this look that I like is the Technicolor stripes in her hair. She looks like an ice skater who decided to tack napkins all over her dress. And those heels look so cheap, like something you'd find at your local DOTS or RUE21. We all know that Katy likes fun and interesting looks, but this doesn't come close at all. If you're going to take a risk, go big.
Princess Ri
Rihanna in tulle and a Jennifer Behr headband- Is it just me or is Rihanna playing it safe? It's a cute look, don't get me wrong, but it feels like something is missing. She wore this while performing with Emenim, but this would be better suited for a red carpet or a Disney star like Miley Cyrus. Even with the gorgeous sparkle and the flaming red hair, Rihanna disappoints.

All the Shines
Audrina Patridge in Isaac Mizrahi (The Bad)- I don't know about you but I am getting pretty sick of Audrina's boring and similar looking outfits. She always wears a tight short tank dress, raccoon makeup, and cheap strappy heels. This look is way too bling-y for my taste and I really dislike that she mixed silver and gold together.
Selena Gomez in Reem Acra (The Good)- At first glance I wasn't sure if I liked this look or not. But after further inspection I realized that it was quite interesting in a good way. I love that Selena decided to wear a long sexy dress (something she doesn't do), and change it up a bit.
The shine of the draped gown with that touch of jewles at the bust is very unique and eye catching. And the fact that she wore matching strappy heels is a plus. I guess our Disney princess is all grown up.

Plumage Problem
Ciara is Givenchy Haute Couture- I am sooo over the feather look. And this outfit is no different. I don't know if you'd even call it a gown because it looks like most of it is missing. And those toe-heavy heels just ruin it for me. It's like she a bird that is shedding its feathers. The only I kind of like is her hair.
In the Bag
Kesha in Home Depot (The Bad)- Yes she really went to Home Depot, bought trash bags and made a dress out of them. But this is Kesha we're talking about. Based on previous looks, this on is as classy as it gets, and that's saying something. She looks like a street walker! I don't get the Rapunzel braid, the cat on her shoulders, or the "I'm too high to care" look on her face. I don't why people find this girl appealing.
Emma Stone in Emilio Pucci (The Good)- Now this is how you do the trash bag look. Use real leather and keep everything else simple. Emma looks so rock-and-roll chic with her fitted mini and electric blue clutch. She always manages to look stylish on the red carpet and she's definitely on my radar.

The Reds
Florence Welch in Givenchy Haute Couture- OMG, I had goosebumps watching Florence perform last night. I absolutely love her music and her sense of style. Her style is retro with a sexy quirky edge which I love. And this Givenchy lace zip-up gown on her is simply stunning.
It is the perfect shade for her skin tone and hair color. LOVE.
Hayley Williams in Miu Miu- She just always gets it right. Hayley knows who she is and I just adore her youthful rock style. Miu Miu has had many red carpet fans this past year and last night Hayley did the brand proud. The nude pumps, the pulled back hair, the black with bursts of color, is just perfection.
(photos: people.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment