Sunday, February 27, 2011

Award Show Season: The Academy Awards

The Red Report

Sandra Bullock- Sandra definitely redeemed herself in this stunningly simple Vera Wang gown. I love that she kept her hair pulled back and simple (compared to those horrid bangs from before!). Red was very popular on the carpet tonight, but she looked the best in it. The fit was perfect and the look bold yet demure enough to really make a statement.
Anne Hathaway- The Oscar host had a huge array of gowns that she wore during the show's telecast, but her red carpet choice made the least impact. I fell like she's done this look before (I think 2 years ago actually) and the red lip with the red dress is just expected. I don't like the volume in the back either. It's just an ok look, not something I'd imagine Rachel Zoe's client wearing.

Sweet and Sassy


Natalie Portman- Finally! A great maternity gown from Natalie! I knew she'd wear Rodarte (a nice homage to her film's fabulous costume designers), and the plum color on her fair skin and with her brunette locks is just amazing. The matching purple heels and tassel earrings is soooo on trend as well. And best of all, it fits and flatters her growing tummy.

Hailee Steinfeld- Hailee has been my favorite star on the red carpet this past award show and tonight she kept my love going. The length of her Marchesa dress is great for age and her high bun goes perfectly with the entire look. Pink satin pumps and a killer smile adds the nice finishing touch.

Sparkle Sisters


Amy Adams- This look is so un-like Amy that I find myself quite attracted to it. The dark midnight blue against her red hair is a delightful effect. And I love the contrast of the emerald green necklace and bracelet. The only fault I find with this L'Wren Scott gown is how heavy it looks for a near springtime affair.
Penelope Cruz- She just had a baby, what? Penelope dares to bear in this firecracker of a dress also by L'Wren Scott. While other stars choose to wear red brightly, I like how she changed it up in a slightly darker red shade. It's sexy without being vulgar, and classic without being stiff.
Body of Art

Cate Blancett- Ok so about how this is for sure my favorite look of the evening. I mean Givenchy's structural mastery on the red carpet, hello! Genius. And no one else could pull this look off better than Cate herself. The pale purple shade mixed with the lemon yellow detail on the shoulder is so unique. And the strong neckline works surprising well with the delicate flow of the skirt. Perfection to the tee.

Nicole Kidman- Now this is structure gone wrong. I hate to say this (because I adore Nicole), but this look just looks uncomfortable. The whole Asian kimono effect on the front and the low slit up the side doesn't work. Not to mention the awful red shoe and the eh-ok hair style. Not a good night for Nicole.

Lovely in Lace


Mila Kunis- Definitely a front runner behind Cate, Mila takes my breath away in this Elie Saab gown. It was one of my favorite looks from the designer's runway collection, so I was thrilled to seen it worn on the red carpet. Bottom line, Mila looks great in anything, but I love that she can also pull off the sweet princess look as well. The way it cinches in her waist and hugs her frame is divine. Home Run and a great end to a fabulous award season for Mila.
Scarlett Johanson- At first glance I liked Scarlett's Dolce & Gabbana lace body con gown, but upon examining it further it loses it's appeal. I admire that she chose a color not usually seen on the red carpet, but it also kind of looks too old her her sexy persona. I do like her hair and makeup though.
Chic, Classic, Calvin


Jennifer Lawrence- Omg, can you say sexpot? You wouldn't even know Jennifer's only 20 in this Calvin Klein stunner. Now most would say she's too causal for the Oscars, but if you haven't noticed people, minimal is in! A simple, perfectly cut gown like this paired with blown out sexy hair is quite a beautiful effect overall. And her confidence is so inspiring.

Gwyneth Paltrow- And she does it again. Gwyneth somehow manages to turn the tables over and surprise us with a great iconic look at least once a year. And thankfully she chose the most important red carpet to do so this year. Her Calvin Klein dress looks like it's melting with gold and I just love the low peek-a-boo neckline. Stick straight locks brings this glam look together wonderfully. Oh and her body looks sick, in a good way!


The Blondes


Michelle Williams- We all know (at least I hope) that Michelle is a trend setter on the red carpet. So I really like how simple she kept her look tonight. The slight jeweled effect on her cap sleeve Chanel gown is just so modern with her now famous cropped cut. This is a look every star should strive to achieve because sometimes less really is more.
Reese Witherspoon- I was shocked to see Reese not only on the red carpet (since she hasn't really had a recent films), but also in this Armani gown. Her look was kind of a flashback to the early 2000's for me, especially with that bombshell hair style (very Legally Blonde right?). But actually for me this all works! Reese looks young, fresh, and happy so what more can we ask for? Classic black and white is perfect for the Oscars.


(photos: people.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment